Cheap Venetian Masks Continued

This is just a quick tutorial for those of you who do not know how to make up some paper mache for your masquerade masks. This is just one method that is available for the mix, I will give further examples of what else can be used to make up the mix for your venetian masquerade masks in later posts as I am a little strapped for time while writing this.

Many people will tell you that you can store some variations of your mix in the refrigerator between applications; I myself prefer to make up a fresh batch each time as I have a strong sense of smell and don't particularly like to put smelly stuff in with my consumables. If it is an option for you however feel free to ignore my advice on making up a new mix each time for each layer of the masquerade mask.

A neat little trick that I have come across is to add a little cinnamon to some of the types of mix's if you do not like the smell too much. This will cover the scent by making the mask smell sweeter, also it will not do your fridge any harm if you store the mixture.

What you will need
  • Some old paper of some sort, a couple of old newspapers will do the job nicely.
  • White glue
  • Water
Firstly you need to tear the newspaper into strips about an inch wide and about four to six inches long.

Next up you need to prepare your mix. Mix up some water with some of the glue, you will need to get the mixture about one part water to two parts glue until it is consistent like a paste. Make sure it is all the same consistency as you do not want to be covering the newspaper strips in just a watery mix, this will only cause your masquerade mask to be more likely to fall apart which is never good. We want to make Venetian masks cheaply but it's best for them to stay in one piece in my opinion. :-D

In one of my next posts I will cover exactly how to go about covering the Venetian ball masks base but for now, this is all you need to do to be ready to paper mache your cheap Venetian masks.